Position: Business Development Manager – Lighting
Reports to: CEO
Location: Roslin, Edinburgh March 2021
Based at the Roslin Institute in Edinburgh, Greengage is an AgriTech business delivering intensive livestock farmers with reduced production costs, higher yields and improved animal welfare through the scientific application of tuned lights and data from sensors. Greengage has installed its aerial technology network on over 2,000 barns in 10 countries now and in the U.K has secured over 20% of the installed market for poultry lighting. Lighting is sold as the “gateway” product – all barns need lights. Sensors and Data Services then installed on a SaaS recurring revenue model.
Despite the difficulties caused by U.S trade tariffs and Brexit, the global demand for poultry and swine continues to drive intensive farming methods. This in turn drives new animal welfare standards in first world countries – this will drive design changes to farms. There is an acceleration of Precision Livestock Farming (more papers at conferences, more research, and early adopters). Edinburgh University’s Roslin Innovation campus offers Greengage and the strategic investor a good platform from which to expand into this sector. GGL has witnessed M&A activity with the Philips Lighting acquisition of Once Innovation, one of three leading product innovators – the other two being Hato and Greengage. The company is well into the search for a strategic investor with a long list of over 60 target companies.
Reporting to the CEO, the Senior Business Development Manager will have responsibility for the agreement and delivery of the Company’s Core Power & Lights Sales & Marketing Strategy & Revenue Targets. The successful candidate will develop and execute against the business plan, using their knowledge of the market, network contacts, commercial and negotiation skills to play a major part in seizing the market opportunity and supporting the transition of this business from an early stage start-up to a business of scale, through acceleration of direct customer acquisition and revenue growth.
- Development and execution of the core Power & Light Sales and Marketing Strategy, to agreed revenue targets within agreed timescales.
- Building Market Intel and lead in market intel requirements to rest of the business. Enhancing knowledge of the competitive landscape, and feeding in competitive analysis to Sales & Marketing strategies and activities.
- Work with the CEO to strengthen Greengage’s market and selling propositions and increase market share in line with agreed targets and goals.
- Revenue and demand pipeline generation to agreed targets and goals.
- Customer and Distributor relationship management
- Ensure the execution of appropriate agreed media/PR activities
- Ensure quality in content, production and distribution of marketing and publicity materials
- Manage press/media and digital/social media development for business sector.
- Work effectively with other cross functional departments to deliver results.
- Handling and converting new inbound leads via email/call
- Assessing customer needs and requirements and working with internal stake holders to ensure these are met
- Prepare quotations and Project proposals, using basic CAD software
- Line management, mentoring coaching and development for a Sales Support Executive
- Ambitious driven individual with excellent industry knowledge (especially poultry and swine) and excellent network of relevant contacts.
- Proven track record of success in a Business development/sales role within the Agri Tech sector.
- Highly commercial individual, with a strategic outlook and pragmatic approach.
- The ability to quickly build relationships both internally and eternally, and hit the ground running.
- Strong and effective leadership skills.
- Recent SME experience – previous larger company experience is also of interest
- Self starter who will drive results.
- Influential communicator – required to keep commercial contacts and sales team engaged
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Foreign language skills preferred but not essential.
- To be discussed at interview
- A mixture of base salary, on-target bonus, company EMI options and other staff benefits
Please send covering letter and CV to HR@greengage.global